Sunday, June 17, 2012

Police Beat

Almost every Sunday morning the road that we live on becomes a speedway for motorcyclists.  Today the sun is shining and it is undoubtably the perfect day for motorcyclists to get on their motorbikes in Cairns and travel north to Port Douglas along one of the most magnificent scenic drives in the world.  They have breakfast in Port and then travel inland to Mareeba and down the Kuranda range to Cairns.  It is indeed the perfect ride.  
Gee, I really used to love motorbikes.  I rode pillion for many years and found it exhilarating.  But now that I'm in my fifties I can see the danger in riding these coffins on wheels.  Our house is situated on a straight stretch of the highway and when the motorcyclists reach this section I guarantee that most would be doing at least 160kmh.  It is an accident waiting to happen.  But this morning as I looked out to the road, I cheered, because right outside our gate are our wonderful Police Force (I refuse to use the word Service).  They had a hand-held radar and  they didn't fine anyone that I saw, but just their presence clearly slowed the traffic down.  Well done Queensland Police Force!  You have my utmost respect for a job that is clearly one of the hardest.



No comments:

Post a Comment