Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Foggy Smoky Morning

There has been a fire burning on the ranges behind Wangetti and the prevailing winds are sending the smoke right over us.  I don't like the smell of smoke but I've had to get used to it.  There are cane farms around us and the farmers still use fire as the best way to manage the trash after the cane has been cut.  People around here seem to love fire.  They burn anything from there garden rubbish (apparently they don't know what compost means!) to parts of their acreage where the grass is out of control.
After years of living in the west, where fire was treated as a very serious threat, I find fires very frightening.  We had one burn up to 100 metres of our house when I first moved to Julia Creek in the 70's.  That was very scary.  All the men where out fighting more than 50 fires that night and there was only me and another female friend left at home.  We turned on every hose around the house and just started wetting everything down.  Fortunately for us the wind turned and the fire burned back on itself.  I thanked God that night.
Here are some photos taken on our foggy/smoky morning walk.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Judy, love the top photo. I know what you mean about the smoke, burning off is a favourite past time here in Darwin and we are right in the middle of it. We are living in our camper still in the caravan park and some days I come home to an ash covered annexe and some nights, I can't breathe. Your ordeal with the fire long ago sounds so scary, it is a very scary thing. We are already feeling a build up here, not long till we get a bit of rain. Hope it holds off till we move back into an apartment, then we are off down to Adelaide at the end of the year to live for awhile.Doesn't look like we will be able to come home to Port any time soon, just no work there for Dave. We've had our house on the market for about 3 months, if it doesn't sell soon, we will probably keep it. Don't want to part with it, but have to look at life realistically sometimes. Anyway, I just finished writing my last article for Scrapbooking Memories Phototech, now I'm rebuilding my website and getting back into my scrapbooking. I'm teaching a card making class this week, have 6 ladies, so will be fun. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete