Sunday, August 18, 2013

Geo-Caching

Robbins Creek
Geo-caching is like an old fashioned treasure hunt but the "hunt" is now helped by using 21st century technology, that is, a GPS and co-ordinates.  It still doesn't make it any easier however!
We went to Robbins Creek, along the bump track, a couple of months ago (you can read about it here) to try and find the "cache" but we didn't have a GPS so it was near on impossible to find.  Today DH and I and our friends Colin and Maree,  went fully equipped with a "state of the art" GPS.  After a few dead ends, and finally working out how to use the GPS we found the hidden cache.  It was very well hidden in a tree trunk and was quite weather worn but we were very pleased to finally find it.
We found it!
After finding the cache we decided to walk the track to the Mowbray Falls.  According to the sign it was only a one kilometre walk.  We found out later that the one kilometre was "as the crow flies" and in fact was more like five kilometres of very tough going!  Steep slopes, some could only be navigated by sitting and sliding,  and a track that was barely visible finally took us to the falls.  I must admit that I did not go all the way.  The final section of the downwards track was very steep and I bailed out.  As it turned out I was only 300 metres from the falls, so next time I will go all the way.
Not a lot of photos to show of the walk.  My camera battery died after the first couple of photographs (I was certain I put the spare in the back-pack) so we were restricted to using our I-phones.  The scenery was spectacular.  We had ocean views at some points and the creek crossings enclosed by rainforest trees and ferns were simply beautiful.  We meet some other walkers along the way and one couple returning from the falls said that it was wonderful to visit something so magnificent without signs and fences restricting you.  Well said.


Mowbray Falls

Mowbray Falls

The track was barely visible and quite steep

A view of the Coral Sea through the trees


Back at the vehicles for lunch and a well earned beer!

1 comment:

  1. Nikki and Luke got us into Geocaching briefly last year .. I find it fun with people who are experienced and have a knack for looking in the right spot .. but I am absolutely hopeless on my own! It think the concept is fabulous and is such an inexpensive and fun way to see the sights and spend time with friends.

    ReplyDelete