Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

I know, it sounds weird but in my quest to find uses for the excess of zucchini I stumbled across this cake recipe.....a CHOCOLATE cake recipe!
The first thing that struck me was that it was low carb (sugar) and secondly it was (almost) paleo.  The frosting recipe I adapted slightly because I don't keep almond milk in the pantry.  Instead I used organic whole cream milk.  The recipe called for Stevia that can be purchased at any supermarket these days.  The sweetness of stevia comes from the leaves of the plant making it also a healthy choice.  I didn't have enough stevia for the frosting so I used coconut sugar that I absolutely love.
The cake is beautifully moist from the addition of the zucchini and so delicious.  The cake is not overly sweet so the frosting is just what the cake needs for that little hit of sweetness.  You can enjoy this cake because it is low sugar and healthy!

So here is the recipe.

GERMAN CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE
from www.lowcarbyum.com

Cake:
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup cacoa
1/2 cup Stevia Sweetener
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
4 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups zucchini, shredded and drained

Pecan Coconut Frosting:
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup sweetener (I used coconut sugar)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Method:
Stir together coconut flour, cacoa, sweetener, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Mix in eggs, coconut oil and vanilla until well blended.  Stir in zucchini.
Pour mixture into greased pan (I used a springform)
Bake at 180 degrees celsius for about 40 minutes or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.

Frosting:
Combine milk, sweetener, egg yolk and butter in a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat.  When bubbles form, sprinkle in xantham gum. Continue heating until thickened.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans.
Spread mixture over cooled cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment