Friday, June 12, 2015

Elephants

One thing that was on my bucket list when we went to Phuket back in March was to have an elephant ride. I just love them.  They seem so gentle and yet I know that they can be extremely dangerous.  I don't particularly like it when I see elephants chained to a post on the side of the road.  They just look so sad.  I have never seen them in the wild but the place that we went to for our elephant ride was probably as close as you can get to being "in the wild".  I highly recommend Kok Chang Safari.  The staff are friendly and the mahout in charge of our elephant was just so incredibly gentle.

Wikipedia:

"A mahout is a person who rides an elephant. Usually a mahout starts as a boy in the "family profession" when he is assigned an elephant early in its life.  They remain bonded to each other throughout their lives"


Our mahout talked quietly to his elephant throughout the hour long ride and I heard another mahout singing quietly to his elephant. The ride takes you along a path around a hill with the culmination being the breathtaking views across to Kata Noi at the top of the hill.

Everyone took turns at taking photos at the top of the hill

Breathtaking view!

Photo shoot for our Mahout and our elephant "Boub"

On our way back down the mountain we stopped so that I could have a kiss from an elephant!






No comments:

Post a Comment