Monday, June 8, 2015

Time for a recipe

I really love Sweet and Sour Pork but with our healthy way of eating I thought it would be off the menu for ever and a day, that is until I picked up Clean Living Fast Food cookbook.  I highly recommend this book.  Fast foods certainly do not have to be taken off the menu when they can be adjusted to a more healthy version.
You may remember the authors of this book, Luke Hines and Scott Gooding.  They were My Kitchen Rules finalists and proved that healthy food can also be very tasty.  They have put a lot of thought into the selection of fast food recipes in the cookbook and I have to tell you that everyone I have tried has been beyond delicious.
Today for lunch we made Luke and Scotts version of Sweet and Sour - "Sweet and Sour Pork Belly". The recipe is extremely easy and takes no time apart from the cooking of the pork belly.  So here is the recipe but I do recommend that you go and buy the book.  You won't regret it.

SWEET AND SOUR PORK BELLY
1kg pork belly, rind scored
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon ground chilli
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 large green capsicum, finely chopped (I used red)
350g fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, finely chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 lime, zest finely grated, juiced
2 tablespoons maple syrup

Preheat your oven to 220 degrees celsius.  Set a wire rack over a foil-lined baking tray.  Rest the pork, rind facing up, on the prepared rack.  Combine the salt and chilli, then push the mixture into the scored rind.  Rub the coconut oil all over the pork, pushing it into the scored rind.  Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 160 degrees celsius and bake for 1 hour or until the pork is tender and the rind is crisp.  Rest for 5 minutes, then cut the pork into 3cm pieces.

Meanwhile, combine all the remaining ingredients in a large heat-proof bowl.  Season with sea salt and ground black pepper.  Stand at room temperature while the pork cooks to allow the flavours to develop.  Stir occasionally.

Add the hot chopped pork to the capsicum mixture in the bowl.  Toss gently to coat and serve immediately.  ENJOY!

The pineapple capsicum mixture marinating beautifully

The finished meal that I served with brown rice



3 comments:

  1. Definitely going to try this .. coincidentally, I was looking for a sweet and sour pork paleo recipe just yesterday!! I'll also look for the recipe book :) Thanks Judi xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny. I just checked and I have one of Luke and Scott's books .. but not that one :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fast Food cookbook has a Paleo adaption of just about every fast food you can think of!

      Delete