Saturday, August 5, 2017

It's been awhile.....

Sorry folks, it's been awhile since my last post.  Has it really been a month?  I thought that once we were retired that I would have more time to update my blog.  It was my goal to write a least once a week but sadly that has not happened, but I do intend trying a bit harder.
July was "Dry July" for me and I did not ask for donations from friends and family - god knows everyone is doing it tough, so what I did was donate what I thought I had saved by not having any alcoholic beverages for the month.  The dry July campaign raised over $4 million for cancer so I'm very happy to be part of that.
Dry July was relatively easy, apart from the State of Origin finals when I really felt like a glass of champers to celebrate the series win.  Wasn't that a great game!  We get together with a few friends from Julatten to watch the finals.  We all bring a plate of food to eat at the communal table.  I took along a plateful of Spanakopita and Meatballs.



For three months (July, August and September) our cows give birth to their calves.  I love this time of the year and enjoy going out with Philip as much as I can to help him tag the calves.  Two of our maiden heifers have had to have their calves "pulled" this year.  It is not a nice job but it's either that or have the cow die while calving.

Our breeder mob
The winter garden is looking quite splendid with the colourful array of flowers that Trudi has planted, although it's taking quite a bit of water to keep the garden going.  Winter is typically our dry period.


A walk down the garden path where the bromeliads are starting to flower

I managed to get in a walk along Four Mile Beach last weekend.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's good to have a change from my normal walk through our property.  There are so many  tourists visiting Port Douglas this year and I'm sure that each and every one of them decided to walk along the beach this particular morning, however, it is a very long and wide beach so plenty of room for everybody.  The day was gloomy and as I walked past a group practicing yoga on the beach, I silently congratulated them for holding their poses in the very strong wind.  
Namaste. 🙏 


That's a wrap for this post.  I promise to not leave too big a gap until the next one! 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment